It’s free to post a Paid gig on Muses. Freelancers can apply to unlimited gigs as a completely free member. Muses takes a 12% commission fee from Freelancers when hired into a gig. Businesses pay the amount agreed to the freelancer + 3% Stripe credit card transaction fee.
Muses uses Stripe for sending and receiving payments on the platform. By using Stripe, you are able to send and receive payments using all major credit cards, debit cards and direct deposits to bank accounts.
How Payments Work (for Businesses)
- Business posts a paid gig on Muses for free to hire freelancers. As a business, you can choose to pay your freelancer a one-time flat fee, or by weekly or monthly pay cycles.
- Freelancers apply. Freelancers will apply to your gig by sending you pitches, which you can review under the “Applicants” tab in your gig.
- Business hires freelancer (business credit card is authorized). As the gig admin (the business), once you are ready to hire a freelancer from the list of applicants, hit the “Hire” button for the person you’d like to hire. This will notify the freelancer that they are hired into your gig. You must do this so that you can track their work, and the freelancer can receive credit for the gigs they’ve completed. You will be asked to connect a payment method if you haven’t already added one. Your credit card is authorized for the amount set as payment for the gig once you hire someone. Payment is placed on hold and not yet released to freelancer. Make sure you have followed our Community Safety guidelines when hiring someone for work.
- Flat Fee Gigs: For flat fee gigs, the business’ credit card will be authorized for the full payment amount set by you in the gig.
- Pay per Week: For pay per week gigs, the business’ credit card will be authorized for the full first week’s payment amount set by you in the gig + next week’s amount. Think of this as holding a down payment to ensure enough funds are in the account. Only the first week’s amount will be released once freelancer completes their first week’s work.
- Pay per Month: For pay per month gigs, your credit card will be authorized for the full first month’s payment amount set by you in the gig + next month’s amount. Think of this as holding a down payment to ensure enough funds are in the account. Only the first month’s amount will be released once freelancer completes their first month’s work.
4. Hit “Send Payment” After Work is Complete. You are encouraged to stay in close communication with the freelancer you’ve hired to ensure there are no surprises on either side. Once the freelancer has informed you their work is complete for the agreed upon scope and timeframe, go to your gig’s “Hired Muses” tab and hit “Send Payment” when you’re ready to pay the freelancer.
- Flat Fee Gigs: You only hit “Send Payment” once after the work is completed for the project.
- Pay per Week: The “Send Payment” button will be available to you every 7 days
- Pay per Month: The “Send Payment” button will be available to you every 30 days
Only after you hit the “Send Payment” button from your gig’s Hired Muses tab, the funds previously authorized on your credit card will then be released to the freelancer.
How Payments Work (for Freelancers)
- Apply to Unlimited Gigs. Freelancers can apply to unlimited gigs on Muses for free. Make sure to submit all relevant work experience, examples and portfolios in your pitches. You will be asked to create a Stripe Express Account (if you don’t already have one) in order to receive payment. Make sure you have followed our Community Safety guidelines when applying to gigs. Businesses can choose to pay for their gig with a one-time flat fee, or by weekly or monthly pay cycles.
- Get Hired into a Gig. Once you are hired into a gig, you will receive a notification in your Alerts that you’ve been accepted into a gig. We will hold funds from the business by authorizing their credit card for the payment amount specified in the gig. Even if you have been communicating with the business via messages about the project, it is essential you make sure the business admin actually hires you into the gig so that you can receive payment and get credit for your work.
- Get Paid Once Job is Done. You are encouraged to stay in close communication with the business admin of the gig to ensure there are no surprises on either side. Once you have completed work for the agreed upon scope and timeframe, please inform the business admin so they can send you payment. You will receive a notification in your alerts once the business has sent payment. Payment will arrive within 7 – 10 business days into the account you have connected in your Stripe Express Account. If there are any disputes with the gig admin, you must inform the Muses team (firstname.lastname@example.org) within 7 days of missed payment. Please make sure to review our Terms & Conditions, which you have agreed to by using Muses.
Manage Payment Methods and Stripe Express Account
You can manage your payment methods (for sending payments) and your Stripe Express Account (for receiving payments) under “Settings” in your profile.